Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Top Tens of 2011 post3

Now, for my favorite CHARACTERS of 2011. A mixed list. And, since I've focused on my boys, a list of my favorite females. In fact, top females first. As always, no particular order to these, and my thoughts change from day to day, if not hour to hour. But these girls are most of my consistant faves.
1. Clary, from Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. She has that strength and stubborn streak that makes you root for a girl even when she's not at her best. The sweetness and caring help too. I can't wait to read more about her! Spunky sweet growing strong, my favorite flavor of heroine!
2. Isabelle from Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. She may not be my favorite girl, with that instant dislike of Clary, whom I can't help but favor, but being able to kick butt while still looking fabulous isn't a feat to be taken lightly. Besides there's a quality to her...I can't remember how I described it initially, but I can't help but like her.
3. Cassia from Ally Condie's Matched trilogy. A good girl who may not have the most redeeming qualities to begin with, but an overwhealming curiosity that spurs a love that helps shape her good qualities into great one. She'll fight for what she wants, this one, even if she has to pretend to submit to get it. Loyal, stubborn, sneaky. A brilliant combonation.
4. Daenerys from George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. Getting to watch Dany develop from a sheltered girl with no power to a strong, brave Khalissi who fights for what she wants is amazing. From what I suspect could happen further on, she may not stay my favorite Ice & Fire girl, but she certainly is for the first book!
5. Evangeline from Anya Bast's Jewelled. Again, a girl you get to watch grow. Very like Elena from the Vampire Diaries (books, not show, there's more depth to character growth in the book series), she starts as one all about appearances. One who has adapted to the point of not caring to survive where she is. But when she breaks and you watch her rebuild into a loving woman with a strong spirit, you have to root for her.
6. Katy from Jennifer L. Armentrout's Obsidian. A sweet girl who's loyal and stubborn, a great match for the secretly nice Daemon, who's also a badass who's adept at being a jerk. Her temper is as bad as his, and she doesn't back down when she wants something. No, she digs in and fights for it, though, in the first-person, you watch her struggle not to be a pushover. Made me laugh, at a couple point produced tears, and made me care all about her. Couldn't put it down and can't wait for Shadows and Onyx!
7. Alex from Jennifer L. Armentrout's Covenant series. Okay, I'll be honest, I haven't gotten my copy yet. Ordered it off Amazon yesterday. But I've entered giveaways and followed the YASisterhood tournament. She seems to be my kinda girl, based on descriptions and teasers from the wonderful Jennifer L. Armentrout. Can't wait to be proven right!
8. Cassie Blake from L.J. Smith's The Secret Circle. Cassie may be a bit of a pushover, a sweet pushover, but she's protective, loving, and believes in doing things for the right reason. Self-sacrificing and willing to think the worst of herself, she's very real and I cheered whenever she made a victory. I know her storyline's over, but I can't help but want more!
9. Meghan Chase from Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series. Haven't read her entire story, but what I have caught me and dug in deep. Go Meghan!
10. Kaylee from Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers. Kaylee, what can I say about Kaylee? She's awesome! Confused and scared, she doesn't understand what's wrong with her. But she's loyal to family and friends, though they aren't necessarily as loyal to her (cough, cough Sophie). Stubborn and curious, spunky. Can't wait to see more of her when I get to My Soul to Save.

Now top ten overall characters. I reserve the right to list couples, as some of my favorite characters aren't their best until their significant other comes along and encourages them to be their best or better.
1. Katy & Daemon from Jennifer L. Armentrout's Obsidian.
2. Clary & Jace from Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series.
3. Cassie & Ky from Ally Condie's Matched trilogy.
4. Magnus Bane from Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. (Didn't include him on my boyfriends or bad-boys list. I'm not yet sure if he's good, bad, or neutral. Plus I'm not exactly his type. But he's a great character, I have to include him).
5. Meghan & Ash from Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series.
6. Saphira from Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Saga.
7. Todd from Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers.
8. Katsa from Kristin Cashore's Graceling.
9. Red Gloves from Elizabeth Vaughan's Daggerstar.
10. Romeo Marescotti from Anne Fortier's Juliet.

Yeah, yeah, I'm aware that There are a lot of couples on my characters list. But I can't help seeing how my favorite heroes and heroines make each other better, are only at their best when with or because of their significant other. So, when it comes down to it, I have such a hard time choosing my favorite between hero & heroine. Therefore, in order to be my favorite from a book and/or series, my most favorite characters are usually irrevocably paired in my head.
Happy readings!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment