Saturday, January 7, 2012

Review: Whisper by Phoebe Kitanidis

Whisper is excellent. It centers around Joy Stefani, who comes from a long family line of women who hear the thoughts of those around them. Most of the family, like Joy, try to help those around them by answering the secret wishes that they hear from those around them. But Joy's big sister, Jessica, long labelled "Icka", delights in making other people miserable. Especially Joy. Family legends, old and new, prompt self-hating Icka to take risks with herself and torment Joy with horror story that can, and seems to be, happening to Joy on this pivotal birthday. Loyalties are tested, and not only the ones you expect.
It becomes a race to save Icka, one that could cost everything and change all that Joy knows about her family, their power, her "normal" existance, and herself.

My Rating: 4.5/5
My Reaction: I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The layers to every character are so interesting to see peeled back. I admit, for a chapter or two, I was worried, it seemed to be moving slower than I expected. But I muddled through and it picked up quite nicely. Growth of characters and relationships are very real, very intense and excellent. Joy seems to start off very likeable, but as she comes to realizations about herself and develops, you realize just how likeable she's capable of being and becomes. Even Icka is shown to have redeeming qualities, when she starts seeming like the devil incarnate. None of the characters are strictly good or bad, though they can seem one way or the other viewed through Joy's perspective. But the layers are well done, revealing both sides of everyone. I must admit one of my favorite characters (besides Joy, because you can't help be adore the narrator), is Jamie. His twist is something I picked up on a little earlier than I consciously realized, and is something you could predict, but still very well done. I can't wait to see more from Phoebe, and I'd love to see a sequel to Whisper.
Happy Readings!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment