Thursday, July 18, 2013

Harry Potter, Divergent, Tithe, & Reality

So.  Having a pretty sucky week, here in reality.  Much unpleasantness from last Thursday on.  Resorted to re-reading Harry Potter again.  Just in case you've been living under a rock, Harry Potter is beyond compare.  It's an excellent world to lose yourself in.  Already mid-way through Goblet of Fire, and putting together a playlist while I'm at it.
By the way, I'm of the mind that Owsley's Zavelow House is wholly appropriate representation of The Riddle House.  Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZOyVq6sxlE
Highlights of the week: spent Monday evening with my awesome cousins, who passed along Holly Black's Tithe trilogy, which I should be getting to in a few days, after Harry Potter.  Also, got to check out this huge Barnes & Noble on Tuesday, and picked up a special edition of Divergent, which may or may not out-rank Tithe in my reading schedule.
Anyway, since I've been a total slacker about posting this year, here's a couple teasers:
Tithe by Holly Black
His hand fascinated her despite herself.  It seemed like he was tangling it in imaginary hair.  "How did you make it do that?"

Divergent by Veronica Roth
"You look a little young to be walking around by yourself, dear," he says.
I stop tugging, and stand up straighter.  I know I look young; I don't need to be reminded.  "I'm older than I look," I retort.  "I'm sixteen."
His lips spread wide, revealing a gray molar with a dark pit in the side.  I can't tell if he's smiling or grimacing.  "Then isn't today a special day for you?  The day before you choose?"
"Let go of me," I say.  I hear ringing in my ears.  My voice sounds clear and stern-not what I expected to hear.  I feel like it doesn't belong to me.
I am ready.  I know what to do.  I picture myself bringing my elbow back and hitting him.  I see the bag of apples flying away from me.  I hear my running footsteps.  I am prepared to act.
But then he releases my wrist, takes the apples, and says, "Choose wisely, little girl."

Super-cool, right?  I've been wanting to read both of these for awhile.  And, according to my cousin, Tithe is similar in style to Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely, which I adore.  No childlike picture of fairies.  Both these series' encompass the inherent darkness from the Irish Fae legends.  Meanwhile Divergent is one of the books I've been looking into since finishing the Hunger Games trilogy.  I'm psyched to finally have gotten my hands on both of these.
Happy Readings!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment